Some questions to start the week

Why do I forget everything I read in Scripture?
Why do I have a hard time remembering the last time I was greatly changed by what I read in the Bible?
Why am I not more affected by God's Word?

If you constantly ask yourself these questions:
  1. You are not the only Christian who thinks this
  2. You are not a second-rate Christian
  3. You are not the problem
  4. Your method is the problem

This is where biblical meditation comes in. Dr. Donald Whitney defines it like this: "Biblical meditation is deep thinking on the truths and spiritual realities revealed in Scripture, or upon life from a scriptural perspective, for the purposes of understanding, application, and prayer" (Lecture notes, 2/22/09, Personal Spiritual Disciplines Class). More to come...

Comments

Anonymous said…
I often wonder if an analogy helps. Spiritual food is like physical food. An excellent meal is savored and enjoyed and beneficial. I very rarely skip meals and have missed a few and I have some most excellent memories of some good old home-cooking. Likewise with the spiritual food...savored and enjoyed and very beneficial, I rarely skip the meals and I have missed a few and I have excellent memories of some sweet times in the Word. Keeps me coming back for more!
Meditating is likened to a cow ruminating, i. e. chewing the cud. Gross illustration but it communicates. Chew on the grass, swallow it, think about what you just swallowed, bring it up out of one of those stomachs, and chew on it some more. Here's a good thought to meditate on. Jesus loves me. Love, Poppy

Popular posts from this blog

Week 5 and 6