A Self-Righteous Tactic

It's very easy to say certain things to make yourself sound supremely righteous. I realized there's a tactic of speech that I regularly use that is a blatant example of this self-righteousness. It goes something like this:

Other Person: Can you believe she does that?!?!

John: No way!! That is so wrong. She really shouldn't do that.

Do you see what I mean? The other person intends no harm in this rhetorical question; it's simply a matter of speech (although they should examine their own heart in the matter). But in my case I express incredulity to what the other person says in order to demonstrate to all those who might here that "I would never do such a terrible thing!"

What foolishness. "The heart is deceitful above all things" says Jeremiah 17:9. Thanks be to God that Christ has paid the penalty for such pitiful self-righteousness by dying on the cross.

Comments

Hi Bubba John: It's Poppy. Love the new look of the blog spot. Interesting look at self here on the tactic. Sin, self, Satan...desires of the flesh, desires of the eyes, pride in possessions...aaagh! Who will deliver me from this body of death? (I got my hand up on this answer!) Love you enormously.
Becca Rocha said…
john, i can't believe you would say things like that. i would never do that:)

Popular posts from this blog

Week 5 and 6