Meditation...Christian, not Zen

This morning I had a great time alone with the Lord. I come away from it deeply aware of the greatness of God, and the smallness of me. I don't think this just happened by chance, though. I think what made my time so good today is the Christian discipline of meditation.

As the title of this post suggests, I don't mean the mind-emptying type of meditation avocated by Zen Buddhism and other Eastern worldviews. Christian meditation is about filling your mind with something. That something is the words of Scripture, and the words of Scripture are the very words of God. So to fill your mind with the words of God is, in effect, to think God's thoughts after him.

To read some good stuff about Christian meditation check out the book Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life by Donald Whitney. Or you can go to Dr. Whitney's website by clicking here. I think there are a number of helpful resources there.

To leave you with something to think about, one Christian from the past has said something to this effect:

"The missing link between Scripture-reading and prayer is biblical meditation."

Do you sometimes wonder what to do when you've read the Word, but don't know what to do next? I think this quote is right. Meditation is...The Missing Link!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 5 and 6