Musical Opinions

Here is a link to some great thoughts on music from someone I deeply respect, Bob Kauflin. I'm convicted by this because I always take a bit of pride in calling myself a music snob...and I don't that should be considered a virtue.

Point #10 is probably the most poignant for me:

10. Being opinionated about music can affect our ability to worship God corporately.

How many times have you heard the first few bars of a worship song on Sunday and thought, “Oh no…I can’t stand this song.” Or maybe you’re talking with a group of friends at lunch on Sunday, and you’re letting them know which songs you really didn’t like. In either case, we’re giving more value to our musical preferences than God’s command to sing his praise and to love him with all our hearts. Do we really want to let our musical opinions keep us from worshiping the God who gave us music in the first place?


Busted! It's like Bob followed me home from church last Sunday! By the way, I've not read the whole thing, but Bob's book Worship Matters encapsulates a great deal of biblical wisdom related to worship. I've been following Bob and his material for about 7 years now, and I'm grateful to God for him as he has influenced my thinking on music and worship very deeply.

Comments

Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Singing to ourselves in Psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in our hearts to the Lord. Spirit controlled responses. Opinions are hard to repress. Likes and dislikes easy to express. I like your singing and playing spiritual songs,etc. You owe me one, Obi-Wan. Love, Poppy
Anonymous said…
kelvin Says:
I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

kelvin

http://www.projectgrant.info

Popular posts from this blog

Week 5 and 6