Irony

You just gotta love the irony of my last post. But since resolving to blog more I have: 1) Finished a difficult semester; 2) Taken over as manager at Starbucks; and 3) Had the two busiest months of the year after taking over as manager. Come on. Those are good excuses.

Nevertheless, it always helps me to think more clearly about important matters when I write them down. So I'll make a quick observation. I've been studying the chapters in the Bible related to the Mosaic covenant (Exodus 19-24). This has been a very rich study. Today I am struck by the number of times in these chapters that the distance between God and man is emphasized, particularly because of God's holiness and our sinfulness. Many times throughout these chapters the people are said to fear the Lord. Also Moses comes up on Mt. Sinai 'by invitation only.'

The spirit of the age has little patience for this reality. Belief in God is seen as an option, or if one does believe in God it is often god-the-way-I-think-he-should-be. But the Lord is to be feared, and should be approached on his terms only. Praise Him that he has made a way over the great distance between us and him through the cross of Christ! We may know him and worship him truly if we know, believe, and trust Jesus alone.

I should note there are two commentaries I've been looking at that are helpful: The New Bible Commentary (a great commentary in one volume! Has some really instructive articles); and Phil Ryken's Exodus commentary.

Comments

Diana Simpson said…
in dads words...
who does that excuse sound good to????
my words... NOT ME :) jk love you!
Diana Simpson said…
you need to post some more bro...

Popular posts from this blog

Week 5 and 6