Books for a New Year

Happy New Year to all! May 2008 be a year where the people of God desire his glory more, particularly by lifting the name of Jesus high above all things.

My sister Jessica asked me to recommend 12 books to read in 2008. Now this recommendation assumes that I have read 12 books well enough to commend them to others, and that fact remains to be seen. But I do know that I always pay close attention when others allude to good books so I can at least refer to those. My thinking is that I will propose 12 books that I think are key to laying a strong foundation for a biblical worldview. In other words, what 12 books are particularly helpful in getting me to look at all of life as God intends me to through his Word?

Recommending 12 books means that many great books will be neglected. So be it. (Jess: If you have read one that you would like to be replaced by another, just shoot me an email). I also include a link to a bookstore that offers a $5 flat shipping fee so that if you buy at least 2 books it is totally worth it. For better or for worse, here it is:

Knowing God, by J. I. Packer
The Pleasures of God, by John Piper
Instruments in the Redeemer’s Hands, by Paul David Tripp
Living the Cross-Centered Life, by C. J. Mahaney
9 Marks of a Healthy Church (or What is a Healthy Church?), by Mark Dever
Concise Theology, by J. I. Packer
The God Who is There, by Francis Schaeffer
Trusting God, by Jerry Bridges
According to Plan, by Graeme Goldsworthy
Spurgeon, A New Biography, by Arnold Dallimore
Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life, by Donald Whitney
On the Mortification of Sin in Believers, by John Owen (an old book with modern abridgements available: like this one, or this one)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 5 and 6