A Simple-ish Question: What is the Gospel?

I say "simple-ish" because it should be pretty simple for a Christian, but often it is not. Let me explain both propositions, and then I'll conclude with a quick Starbucks story (I have many of them from my career as a barista).

First, it should be simple for a Christian to answer the question "What is the gospel?" The epistles (there are about 20 in the New Testament) contain numerous references to a certain message. A careful reading of these books of the Bible will lead to the conclusion that that message is the one true, biblical gospel. This gospel is true. It is rooted in historical facts. It is supernatural. It is real and life-changing. So when Peter tells his Christian friends to be always prepared to give a reason for the hope that is in them (1 Peter 3:15) I assume that he at least is alluding to the message of the gospel. This is the good news that guilty sinners may be forgiven and made righteous before God (the one they've offended!) through the sacrificial death of God the Son. So it would seem that the New Testament assumes that Christians can easily answer the aforementioned question.

But sadly it is often not simple. Christians often are not ready with an answer. Why is this the case? Is it lack of understanding? Poor teaching? Laziness? Fear? Lack of confidence? The unpreparedness may be any of these, and this is not the place to tease out all the possibilities. It just seems to me that if I have been told the most important message ever, I'm convinced that it is true, and I've been told to spread it far and wide I should know what the message is!

What's my point? Brothers and sisters (and John): preach this good news to yourself! Know it so well that you can explain it in less than 90 seconds. Much more could be said. The preaching stops.......now!

The story: there is a large gathering of Pentecostals taking place in Louisville right now. Many of them are staying at the hotel where my Starbucks is located. I decided to ask one of these friends, who had just said that he is a preacher, how he would explain the gospel. His response was discouraging. Nothing about sin and the Savior, nothing about forgiveness, nothing about the great debt we owed God that Christ paid for his own, dying in their place. Alas, we must know and believe this message.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 5 and 6

Are you "crammed with filth?"